Friday, April 29, 2016

Tunnel Vision Tapes: Number 3 Blue & Green Mask

 3. Blue & Green Mask, January 9, 2010

I don't like doing portraits of anyone else because I'm prone to leave out details that they expect and include details they would rather not see. I guess that's the reason I prefer to do masks instead of faces. This isn't really a mask, but I added the word to the title later. Whatever. The task at hand, from the artistic challenge, was to do a face with the fewest marks possible. I nailed that “problem”, to use the shop talk of artists. What I would really love to be able to do is recreate the pencil marks in metal and be able to suspend them in air with no visible means of support. That's the limitation of physical reality that an artist escapes from when an image is created on the flat surface of a two-dimensional work or with a computer and digital imaging. I think I wrote down Blue & Green at the time because the drawing had a sense of there being a blue and green hue about the face, like theater lighting. I don't know. I just wish he would stop staring at me from the paper of the sketchbook. Time to flip to another drawing.

Oliver Loveday © 051211:11:40am EDT



“Blue Green Mask”
Pencil
5 x 3.5 inches | 12.7 x 8.9 cm
Strathmore 50 lb | 74 g/m
January 9, 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment